Egusi Soup is a Popular Nigerian Dish, made out of melon seeds and can be eaten with any swallow of choice.
INGRIDENTS FOR EGUSI;
1. Grounded Melon Seeds (EGUSI powder)
2. Meat of choice ( I used beef and chicken)
3. 2 cooking spoons of Palm Oil
4. Dried fish and stock fish
5. 3 tablespoons of grounded cray fish
6.1 tablespoon of grounded locust beans( daddawa)
7. Onga ,salt and pepper to taste
8. Blended tomatoes, paprika and scotch bonnet
9. Chopped spinach
10. Meat Seasoings (ginger, garlic, thyme)
11. 1 large Onion
12. An egg( optional)
METHOD OF COOKING EGUSI SOUP.
1. Soak Dried fish in warm water with a pinch of salt, for 20 minutes and remove bone.
2. Place a pot with water on medium high heat , put stock fish and let it cook for 20mintues the place aside.
3. In the same pot add beef and chicken with "meat seasoning" and chopped onions. Let it cook for 15 minutes before adding dried fish to cook along with the meat. After 30 minutes remove from heat.
4. Place a new pot on fire add palm oil ,chopped onions, blended tomatoes, paprika and scotch pepper . Keep stirring until is fried.
5. Add beef, chicken, dried fish, stock fish , Seasoings, 2 tablespoons of cray fish and locust beans. Reduce heat and keep stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes.
6. Add meat stock in the pot and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
7. In a bowl add EGUSI powder , 1 tablespoon of cray fish and break the egg inside mix it together and mold into balls. "this step is optional, saw on a blog and I happen to like it".
8. Add EGUSI balls in the pot and cover it to cook for 15 minutes.
9. In the last 5 minutes add chopped spinach , cover and let it simmer.
10. EGUSI IS READY TO BE SREVED WITH SWALLOW OF CHOICE.
Thank you for reading my blog post on EGUSI soup. Leave your comments! Follow me on my blog if you haven't . For Questions and Enquries and sending pictures of your feedback Via;
Thank You. X!